The San Francisco Filipino Community Platform
Filipinos are a key part of the hard working fabric of SF that keeps this city alive. Filipinos are a diverse group of immigrants, U.S. born, undocumented, working class, professionals, seniors, youth, & families. As of 2008, 48,970 Filipinos reside in SF representing 6% of the total population. In summer 2011 Filipino leaders & residents from several neighborhoods who worked together on immigrant, worker, & community concerns came together to discuss key issues of the SF Filipino community. Below is the product of these discussions culminating in the San Francisco Filipino Community Platform.
Democracy: Local government accountable to all residents, not just those with wealth or lobbyists!
- Appoint people to key city commissions dealing with important issues of the Filipino community such as immigrant rights, affordable housing, worker rights who represent our needs & interest.
- Ensure all residents regardless of immigration status have a voice in city government
Employment: Support Filipino Workers’ & their Struggles Regardless of Immigration Status!
- Ensure better working conditions, decent wages/benefits, & fair treatment of workers especially
- Support the right to unionize, obtain a fair contract, & fight against retaliation & discrimination
- Increase jobs for SF residents with expanding Local Hiring laws & opportunities for new immigrants
- Increasing funding for Filipino specific culturally competent employment support/training programs
Education: Quality public education for all of the city’s children!
- Supplement SF public school system budget with city funds to ensure quality education
- Fund more educational programs for youth, parents, & seniors such as Filipino Bi-Lingual programs, after school programs, internship & job training programs & brother/sister programs
- Ensure culturally competent admin/staff/teachers
- Advocate for the return of public school funding to pre-Prop 13 levels, across the state & in SF.
- Advocate for access to scholarships, lower tuition fees, & more classes especially ethnic studies.
Public Transportation: Universal access to affordable & quality public transportation!
- Appoint a representative to MTA who is accountable to working class communities
- Free passes for youth under 18 & for seniors
- Increase number of drivers, decrease wait times & extend time for transfer tickets
Immigration & Immigrant Rights: Keep SF a sanctuary city for all immigrants
- Opt out of Secure Communities (S Comm) & direct SF police to not implement ICE racist policies
- Ensure due process for immigrant youth & fully enforce legislation against Human trafficking
- Support comprehensive immigration reform emphasizing family reunification & DREAM ACT
- Support Filipino WWII Veterans’ & their campaign for Full Equity
Housing/Homeowners: Affordable Housing especially for multi-generational & extended families
- More affordable housing including land trust strategies & other ways to ownership for low incomes
- More Filipino community based outreach & representation in affordable housing department
- No discrimination on housing & rental applications
- Protect tenant rights in both buildings & houses & protect homeowners from foreclosure
- Ensure replacement housing prior to tenants being bought out & forced to move
Healthcare: Increased affordability & equal access to healthcare services & facilities
- Increase charity care for low income & people of color
- Increase culturally competent medical translators
People’s Economy: PEOPLE FIRST! Prioritize the needs of the residents vs. the corporations!
- Ensure food, clothing, affordable shelter, safety, quality transportation, & recreation centers
- Increase taxes on big corporations, offer tax breaks for local hiring & support small business
Community Based Planning: Planning with the people! Prioritize community needs and safety!
- Build more open spaces, publically owned rec centers, & community centers for families & children
- Prioritize Police collaboration & Stop Police Harassment
- In places with large Filipino concentrations name streets, parks, rec centers etc. after Filipinos
- Stop gentrification & displacement of small business & affordable housing
- Build more Filipino Centers throughout SF & Increase funds for existing Filipino spaces
Services: Nourishing a safe, healthy, & vibrant SF!
- Ensure domestic violence prevention & services as well as services for victims of human trafficking
- Ensure services to recent immigrants responding to issues of undocumented & women specific needs
Endorsed by: Active Leadership to Advance the Youth, Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines, Filipino Community Center, League of Filipino Students, Mendelson House, South of Market Community Action Network, Tenderloin Filipino-American Community Association.
If you would like to Endorse this platform please contact email@example.com or call 415.333.6267.